January 11, 2020

Winter Horses, Birds, and a Rascally Squirrel.


Wednesday's snow is gone now but lets go back a few days because I still have snow scenes to show you. The horses are in Frederick County, VA.

The kids across the road from us built a snowman. I'm sure it melted today because temperatures were unseasonably warm and now it is raining.

I already posted pictures of the fluffy snow while it was fresh, and here's one more. These are black vultures.



Sharing with Saturday's Critters and I'd Rather Be Birdin'
I've placed bird feeders where I can view them from our windows. Here we see some goldfinches and a junco, followed by a picture of ducks on the lake.



Squirrels are experts at finding food and are amazing acrobats. They have well-developed claws and can actually swivel their ankle joints. They help themselves to bird seed and often seem like a nuisance.

I do have one bird feeder that seems to defeat them, plus they don't like red pepper suet. I avoid red pepper in seed though, having learned the hard way that it can become airborne and get in my eyes! Supposedly squirrels don't like thistle seed either, which is what is in the above finch feeder, but I've seen one of our squirrels eat it. In fact, he enlarged the holes in the plastic so that the seed fell on the ground! I guess he was really hungry.

I let this cute guy finish off that seed block. Now he wants more!



16 comments:

  1. Just in time for critter week in our group! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello. Beautiful photos. Squirrels look cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Love the horses, ducks and goldfinches and cute snowman. The squirrels will never go hungry, they are the first to eat. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Enjoy your day, wishing you a great new week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your goldfinches are so different to the European ones. Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute squrrel. it probably want seconds. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That squirrel close-up is awesome!! And love all the birds today...especially liking the composition of the ducks on the lake!!

    Thanks for sharing with us at I'd Rather B Birdin' this week!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...I have cousins of your squirrel at my feeders too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad squirrels are accepted rodents...we sure would feel differently about rats climbing all over our houses (at least I would!) The fluffy tail does it I'm sure! First snowman I have seen except for the blow up kind at Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've got squirrels who raid our bird feeders too. We usually just let them. They provide good entertainment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. cool, love snow when it is not tooo much,the world is beautiful with a small layer. I was confused about the black dots in your trees, until I read...vultures :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely photographs .. that squirrel is cute!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those squirrels ...almost can’t be defeated...they sure are cute for rodents tho are t they! Good this time of year to have bird feeders you can see from your window and you have some great visitors at your “cafe”. I don’t know if I should be happy your snow has melted, its probably bad news climate-wise, but if it were me, I’d be happy for the reprieve.

    ReplyDelete
  13. what adorable critters!!! the squirrel is a sneaky little guy!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great shots of all the different critters.

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.