September 10, 2026
Today’s Sky and a Remembering
Tomorrow is the 25th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks. I remember the beautiful sky that morning, and how it made the newscasts sound surreal.
This week I heard a few broadcasts on NPR about the after-effects of 9/11. It’s tragic that many of the first responders and volunteers who went toward the disaster at the World Trade Center have suffered and died from the effects of the toxins that were in the air.
I remember being shocked when Christine Todd Whitman, the Bush administration’s head of EPA at the time, stated that the air quality in Manhattan was safe for citizens, except for those working to clear the wreckage. It was obvious from photos that the city’s air was still smoky and polluted. Years later, she apologized after finding out that she had passed on dangerously incorrect information.
Both the US government and NYC Mayor Giuliani failed to inform citizens and workers of the health risks. It took years of efforts by injured workers and activists, including TV personality Jon Stewart, to secure adequate healthcare and benefits for the first responders.
I am thankful for fire fighters and all the others who come to the rescue in times of crisis.
Labels:
Health,
Living History,
Skies
8 comments:
The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.
Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!
Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Great clouds.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful photo. ❤️
ReplyDeleteBeautiful sky photo. 9/11/2001 will be a day I never forget. All first responders are heroes. Take care, have a great day and a happy weekend.
ReplyDelete...and we should never forget our wonderful neighbors to the north and Operation Yellow Ribbon.🇨🇦
ReplyDeleteLovely photo! I was living in Fairbanks when 911 happened and remember watching the newscasts throughout the day.
ReplyDeleteThe comment about the sign that you were puzzled about , the guy was retouching the fish and chips sign, he was blocking the letters that were missing as he painted.
I can just imagine how the politicians decided to not tell the various citizens of the toxic levels of the air...if they did, then how would they get anyone to go help clean things up! It is another case of short term gain for long term pain, and the pain wasn't felt by the politicians!
ReplyDeleteThat is a beautiful sky.
ReplyDeleteSpecial prayers to all those affected by the terrible events of 9/11/2001.
All the best Jan
Lovely shot.
ReplyDelete