September 11, 2026

Solemn Tourist with Reflection

Flight 93 Memorial


Today was the 25th anniversary of the attack on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon. It was also the day that Flight 93 crashed in a field in Pennsylvania after passengers fought the hijackers. 

I visited the Flight 93 Memorial in 2022 and posted pictures a few weeks later. I did not post this one the time, but today I cropped out some distracting parts of the image to make it cohesive. 

Twenty-five years is a long time, so perhaps now that we’ve made it through a quarter-century, I’ll be able to handle the future remembrances without crying. No guarantees though.

I remind myself that I was very fortunate that no one close to me was a victim of the disaster. My daughter Marie was traveling overseas, but she had lived and worked in New York City before she embarked on a world tour.

5 comments:

  1. There will always be tears, or we will have lost our humanity.
    I love your photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This memorial is beautiful! The pilot of this flight, Jason Dahl, lived in our neughborhood. WE gathered last night at a memorial for him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We became aware of our vulnerability as a nation on 9/11. The loss of so many, and their loved ones will long remain a mark of our shared humanity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember going to the Shanksville Memorial before the present one was built. It was a temporary one and was still incredibly emotional. I didn't make it through the day today without tears because I read Todd Beamer's story again, about him calling from the plane and telling the operator what he and the other passengers were about to do. I couldn't watch the movie they made of it. Maybe one day.

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.