April 4, 2024

Pink Sky at Dawn

Charlie got me up at 6:30 this morning, bless his heart. That's what they say in the south instead of something derogatory. The sunrise was colorful.



Around noon, I headed west towards Wardensville. I considered finding the houses that burned down west of  Strasburg, then decided not to depress my mood by looking at them. But when I pulled off at a gas station to let someone go past, I saw that I was at the corner of Coal Mine Road. That happens to be the road where the wildfire burned some houses. My curiosity got the better of me and I drove a little way down the road.


I saw the ruins of two homes, and they were not even on the same side of the road. It was strange because there were a lot of other homes in the area that did not get burned. The fires were spread by wind and forested terrain, and it was really unfortunate that these homes were owned by people who are related to each other. I just can’t imagine how distressing that was! The area had been evacuated so no one was hurt.


The fire burned right up to the edge of Mt. Hope Church, but did not cross the grass to the building. I imagine that firefighters arrived in time to protect the church, using the lawn as a firebreak. 


I turned around at the church and drove to Wardensville. A hard rain started falling and suddenly there was sleet. I pulled off in a parking lot until it eased up. In the picture, you can see the sleet on the left where the wiper blade pushed it. 

Water H2O / Skywatch

The storm did not last long. We had already had two days of rain, which I welcomed because I’d rather have rain than drought. It was dry conditions followed by high winds that drove the wildfires to spread.

15 comments:

  1. Well, I started smiling at Bless Your Heart. Such a polite way of telling someone off, lol. Then as I scrolled down I saw the two burned out homes. How sad! I didn’t realize any homes had been burned down at all in that fire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your pink sky! That is so ruby red

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the pretty pink sky! It is sad to see those burnt homes, I am glad the church was saved. Take care, have a great day and happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If Charlie gets you up at 6:30 he’s doing you a fine service.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fires act in mysterious ways. I'm glad the church was saved but sad for those who lost homes. I do love the pink in your skies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...I hope that this isn't another summer of fires.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good idea to just not drive in sleet. Sad for the loss of those homes to fires. I do hope we don't have as many this year as last.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rain is helpful. Today here, snow continues that started on Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good job, Charlie. That sunrise sure is pretty!

    That's very sad about those two houses that burned, but am glad the families who lived in them had been evacuated.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel for the people whose houses were destroyed. I've never been burnt out but, years ago, one of my co workers lost a house to fire while she was at work (they determined an electric short started the fire) and it was so traumatic for her. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful pink sky. Sad to see the burnt home. It's a real mystery why fires jump from one home to another, leaving some undamaged.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful pink skies but very sad to see the burnt homes.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.