April 11, 2024

At the Peak on Fort Valley Road

Overlooking Page Valley


 Fort Valley Road winds its way up and down a mountain between Fort Valley and Page Valley. Sometimes my navigation app tells me to go that way, even though the road is narrow with hairpin turns. Do not try it in a long RV!

There is an overlook at the high point of the road with a great view. Sadly, this part of the mountain suffered a forest fire in March. The Forest Service called it the Waterfall Mountain Fire. It destroyed 6400 acres. I referred to the mountain as Massanutten in my March 28 post, but Massanutten is actually a chain of mountains. 

I could see and smell evidence of the fire before I reached this point. Somehow the firefighters were able to save the homes and businesses in the area.


Some trails are still closed, including the Storybook Trail. I saw some firefighters who had been clearing the trails and making them safe from falling trees. This crew had come from a western state to assist. While I was there, a forest ranger pulled up to deliver an updated map to them. I was delighted to see that it was Julia, who I know from her previous job at Friends of the North Fork.

Although the wildfires make me very sad, I feel I should bear witness to them. No doubt there are more to come.

Here is a map from the U.S.Forest Service site showing the fire location.



15 comments:

  1. Beautiful views. It's sad that so much damage was done by the fire. Thankfully though, homes and businesses were saved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...as Trump once said, they need to rake the leaves to control fires!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, think what good exercise it would be to rake thousands of acres!

      Delete
  3. The look out view is impressive

    ReplyDelete
  4. The views are beautiful. I am glad the homes and businesses were saved. Take care, enjoy your day and happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The first view is really spectacular. I hope the only red you see is fall foliage. No more fires!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great view from the overlook.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My youngest son is a former wild-fire fighter, and I learned a lot while he worked in that way. I salute the fire-fighters of today, who work diligently to save our forests.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've seen forest fire damage in South Dakota and it's s sad to see. Bearing witness is good for the soul. A work friend's daughter was impacted by a wildfire when she lived out in California and she ended up moving back to her native New York State. Now, we all are in danger anywhere. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very sorry to hear about the forest fires. They seem to be everywhere now. Wow, those firefighters sure deserve a lot of credit for clearing the trails. Extremely tough job for likely little pay.

    ReplyDelete
  10. VA you are awesome. we love you!! we got to enjoy a pull over at the Blue Ridge Parkway this past weekend, what a blast. it was warm but not yet humid. we had some pizza and enjoyed the view. we were shocked to see a 4-some who had no umbrella but they were enjoying the sun, i would have had my hat, i wear it often. i had it on my head yesterday, mess up my hair and didn't take it off when i went into Sheetz for the coffee and restroom break. u have a nice week. thank you oh so much for the visit and comments, you're awesome!! ( ;

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.