March 21, 2024

Tears for the Sunset

Shenandoah County


Tonight‘s sunset brought tears to my eyes. This is partly because I felt sad and worried, and partly because my eyes smarted from smoke particles. It was the smoke particles that gave the sunset dramatic red tones.

The second picture was taken earlier. Normally, I don’t shoot directly into the sun without blocking it, but I really wanted to show the smoke. Wildfires are still burning in West Virginia, that’s where this particular smoke is coming from.

I exited from the interstate to take this earlier photo along Route 55 (US 48). The sun was about to go down, so I didn’t have time to search for a viewpoint without wires. Actually, they are appropriate here because most of the fires were started by power lines that were felled by trees in yesterday’s high winds. 


By the time I reached Woodstock, the sun had gone down, leaving us an orange sky that would be delightful if it weren’t for the tragedy of fires. Several homes were destroyed west of Strasburg.


I saw a map yesterday showing the fires in Virginia. I didn’t count them, but there were over 20. Some were contained by firefighters after the wind died down, but there's one to the east that is still uncontrolled. It’s on Massanutten Mountain in Page County, threatening to cross into Shenandoah County. It has burned 2000 acres and destroyed several structures. Much of it is inside George Washington National Forest. Route 211 remain closed on the mountain and it’s a main road. 

I just heard on the weather report that there are still 15 active fires in our region. We may get rain tomorrow night. I wish it would arrive sooner.

I worry that this is part of our “new normal” of disasters caused by climate change, and that it is too late to regain the balance of nature that developed over centuries. Perhaps we can slow down the damage enough to be able to adapt. I don’t know.

13 comments:

  1. The skies do look pretty. The wildfires are scary, I hope they get them under control. I heard 100 acres of Shenandoah has burnt too. Take care, have a great day and happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, we definitely can slow it down but sadly not if we keep arguing about how to do it and if it's real and/or human caused. :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is amazing that there are still people who deny climate change, among them prominent politicians who we continue to elect to high office. In every serious discussion I have seen, by credible scientists in peer-reviewed journals, the tipping point has been passed, and we are on the way to catastrophe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...we read about the fires last night. Take care and be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry that such beauty of colorful sunsets is the result of destruction of forest lands. We've heard of control burns in our areas of forest, before the winds came of course. It's tough with climate change happening right before our eyes...in whatever way it comes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We in New York State had the smoke last year from fires in Canada. I fear David above is right. My heart goes out to all affected by the latest fires. It's a sad situation - too many of us still think it's a hoax or something that will turn around on its own, and we elect like minded officials to office. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photos but so sorry to hear about the fires. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope that you get some relief soon.
    I believe that many of the fires we are having are the result of climate change caused by man. Many of the deniers in oil and gas industry tell me that being warmer is better than being cold. Clueless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful photos. I too worry about the fires because we are already being warned about the hot, dry summer ahead. I hope the outcome is better for everyone than expected at the presnt time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dramatic skies, but having had lived through a summer of on and off smoky days, I remember what it was like.

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.