August 3, 2023

Haze on the Mountains

Yesterday I ran some errands in Front Royal and spent a little time on Skyline Drive since I was so close to it. I knew there would be some haze because our whole area has been hazy from the smoke of far-away wildfires. On days like yesterday, the smoke is irritating to my eyes.


The normally spectacular views were obscured by the smoke. Still, I saw wildflowers and the butterfly that I showed here yesterday. I saw some deer too, but did not get pictures of them because I was driving.

The smoke from Canada’s wildfires became noticeable here a couple of months ago. Add to that the news of record-breaking temperatures in many places, and I have been feeling pessimistic about climate change. I fear that we will not be able to stop it, but I feel I was fortunate to be born after World War II and to have lived many decades before this disaster loomed. 

Lately some of my experiments with computer-generated imaging have been influenced by fear of climate apocalypse. Here are a few. I will spare you any further narrative.




10 comments:

  1. Pretty pictures even with the haze. It’s concerning I know. I keep hoping scientists are going to come up with something extraordinary to help. You are doing well with your AI pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks to me that you have mastered AI.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The last time we were on the Skyline drive, the haze was horrible. Your computer generated images are dramatic. Take care, have a happy day and happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...we have had plenty of hazy days this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't managed to go up on the Blue Ridge Parkway at all this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We have had a lot of hazy days, too. A blue sky is cause for celebration. I am also concerned about our future, especially as too many people still haven't "gotten it". Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Been feeling pessimistic about climate change here as well. We have a major fire burning in the Mojave Desert right now. The experts are saying the Joshua Trees burned by the fire will likely never be seen again. Temps are too hot and rainfall is too scant to support seed germination and growth.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The computer generated images are frighteningly beautiful

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.