June 13, 2022

Seventeen Years of Blogging

On this day in 2005, I started this blog. My first entry began like this:


I don't recall exactly why I started blogging, except that I was already maintaining a couple of websites and doing them in HTML and Dreamweaver took a lot of time. Blogspot sounded easier and indeed it is.

In June of 2005, we were living in Montross. High-speed internet had not reached our neighborhood and I was using dial-up over old telephone lines. I could literally click on a link, go to the kitchen for coffee, and return before the page finished loading. So I did not blog every day, but instead prepared some photos and waited to post them until I could take my laptop to the library in town, which did have fast internet. 

That was not the only reason I was anxious to move back to Bryce Resort. We had long drives to go shopping, even longer than the half-hour drive from Bryce to Walmart. So after three months, we moved back and rented out the Montross house.

Thus I was back in Shenandoah County. I decided that the mountain and valley region of Virginia would be a main focus of my blog. After all, it is photogenic and rich in history.

Shenandoah Valley, the rivers, and the surrounding mountains remain the most popular topics of my posts. Right now I have 1858 posts tagged Shenandoah and I could tag many more that way.

This region is incredibly beautiful. I hope I have been able to convey that photographically.

15 comments:

  1. Congratulations, Linda, on 17 years of blogging. I had to laugh a little, remembering dial-up, and the sounds that accompanied it. How far we have come! Of course, I am still wet behind the ears by comparison - only 5 years of blogging! Thanks for taking the time to so faithfully link to Mosaic Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...compared to you Linda, I'm a newbie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Linda,
    Congrats on 17 years of blogging. I enjoy following your blog and all your post on the Shenandoah Valley.
    Have a great day and happy week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seventeen years of blogging is a terrific achievement. Congratulations! You have indeed shown your audience the beauty of the area where you live.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's definitely an achievement...hope you celebrate. I'm raising a cup of coffee in your honor!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats, Linda! Here’s to many more years of blogging and sharing the wonder of Shenandoah Valley with the world. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very impressive on achieving 17 years of blogging. Congratulations to you Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice way of capturing that blogging history.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on 17 years of blogging. And still enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on your 17th blog anniversary! I know I always love your photos and look forward to many more.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It must be a beautiful area to live in!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Many congratulations and well done on 17 years of blogging :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.