August 14, 2020

Not Quite Willy Nilly Friday.

Tom has discontinued the "Willy Nilly" linkup but that doesn't mean I can't post a handful of miscellaneous images. 

1. I was charmed by this small barn and fence near Bluemont, VA. 

2. Skywatch / Black and White.
Dusk over our neighborhood lake.

3. Friday Bliss.
Pink flowers: Surprise lilies (or naked ladies), Coneflowers, Crape Myrtle.

4. A quote from Isaac Asimov:
"The easiest way to solve a problem is to deny it exists."


5. I walked into a doctor's office and saw that every other chair faced the wrong way. I know this is for social distancing but it looks like a setup for musical chairs!

The nurse practitioner, by the way, advised me to reach out to someone every day, even if just be sending a card. This is to fight the feeling of isolation that we get by our disease-avoidance behaviors such as avoiding socializing and wearing masks.

6. I took a picture of the post office in Baker, WV. I plan to share more post office pictures in honor or the U.S. Postal Service, which is facing new challenges as politicians argue over its funding and the use of the mail for voting.


7. Next to that post office is a pay phone. It appears to still be in service, which has gotten rare with cell phones being so popular. Baker is in the mountains so probably some people cannot get a cellular signal and still rely on land lines.

Stay safe and stay connected!



16 comments:

  1. The barn looks cosy and new! Your pink flower mosaic pleases the eye. Try to cope with social distancing, I believe there is a vaccine some day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes we are having to rethink so many things as you say the chairs that way look like a party game!I like the suggestion to reach out to others daily to stay connected, I feel we are so lucky in this respect with the blogging community! It is there when we need it.
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...nice barn.
    ...the clouds pop in black and white.
    ...I wish that we could grow Crape Myrtle.
    ...words that Trump lives by!
    ...life is about playing musical chairs.
    ...and this post office thing is all about Trump's hatred of Jeff Bezos.
    ...payphones are harder and harder to come by these days.
    Thanks Linda for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these photos, and do rely upon the internet for my social contacts these days. MMm, nice idea to send cards, just to keep the post office working...as well as stay in touch. I try more phone calls when I can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. An interesting series of photos!
    Love the flowers!
    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful sky over your lake at dusk!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Baker looks interesting. A little bit of a step back in time. I like the old post office, and beautiful b&w sky shot!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love all these photos makes it hard to pick a favorite. However, something about your black and white photo pulls at me. And thanks for the reminder, I need to return a phone call. A friend and I were just talking (too briefly) about how we need to do better about keeping in touch now. Happy Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great shots. Love the barn.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a challenge to take a picture of a post office. I like that you found an old pay telephone that is working still. Your take care now.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Já está se tornando normal o uso das cadeiras viradas ou com obstáculos.
    Também estou me acostumando a viver no meu mato, quando vou a cidade me dá dor de cabeça, muito movimento mesmo em tempos de pandemia. Gosto de ver telefones antigos. abraços!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Enjoyed very much Linda! That sure is a cute post office.

    ReplyDelete
  13. don't ya love seeing a phone booth again ... that happens so less lately ... i real fun find. i hope u r well this week. be healthy and happy. ( ;

    ReplyDelete
  14. the barn and fence is very charming. The doctor's office seating is just strange but I guess it works. Your NP gave you some good advice. I hardly talk to anybody except my wife and son and my daily calls with my brother.

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.