May 3, 2020

A Return to Linville.


Inspired Sunday: Sometimes (often, actually) I take a detour down a country road when I'm returning from shopping. The other day I found myself in an area that looked a little familiar, perhaps. When I saw a sign for Linville I knew I had been there before and I was near Route 42.

This is Linville Congregational Christian Church. And nearby is a farm with a sign that reads "Farmer Seeking Farmland to Rent."

A few minutes ago I was looking for information on the church and found very little. But the name of the road, Kratzer, rang a bell. "I've posted something about it before." Sure enough, there is a post from 2008 called The View from Kratzer Road.  Wow, twelve years ago! And is that the same barn? I think it is!

Linville is a small but historic community. Daniel Boone once lived there, as did Abe Lincoln's father.

When I reached Route 42, I turned right and soon passed the Lincoln Homestead, which I visited in February. A little later I pulled off to take a picture of cloud shadows on Massanutten Mountain.

Shadow Shot Sunday and The Barn Collective

7 comments:

  1. The white weather boards that the church is built from are very similar to house is some of the suburbs closer to the middle of Melbourne. It would fit in here.

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne (ps: how are things in your neck of the woods?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...life is all about flashbacks! Thanks Linda for stopping by, take care.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love watching clouds pass over mountains!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I’m in awe of your detours! Fabulous to live in an area where you have our country’s history in every corner. ....I was thinking wow, you blogged about this town twelve years ago! And then I counted up and realized I’m in my 13th year now! (We’re practically pioneers, dont you think?)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice pictures. I like the way the clouds look in the one with the cow and barn.

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.