September 15, 2019

Stanardsville, A Town of Barn Quilts.

When we stopped in Stanardsville last winter to view the Blue Ridge Heritage Memorial, I noticed that an unusual number of barn quilts were hanging on regular buildings. So recently I went through there again, stopping at a store to ask some questions. I also stopped to take pictures of this charming church. 

The sign was down but I was later able to determine that it is Grace Episcopal Church.

Nearby is the Oddfellows Hall, and they have a barn quilt on the door. Even garages in Stanardsville have barn quilts decorating their buildings! I asked about this at a shop and learned that the local art guild makes these signs upon request. It is a fund raiser for them and customers get custom-made designs.

After I left town, I noticed a farm with some barn quilts on the fence. In the distance is a barn, so I zoomed in a bit and later cropped the photo to show the painted barn quilt.


This "crazy quilt" design is on the other side of the driveway. It has painted-on stitches.

The final photo is from farther up toward the Blue Ridge Mountains. It shows a barn-style birdhouse placed in a tree.

Links:



11 comments:

  1. You saw some great sights and thank you for sharing them all. I love the painted quilts, the church is a pretty building and the barn birdhouse on top of the tree stump is very eye catching. Have a great week Linda :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...fabulous church and a nice quilt block collection. The 'tree barn' is a fun find. Thanks Linda for taking me along on this little adventure. Enjoy your week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, I love the barn quilts. The bird house is cute.
    Enjoy your day, wishing you a great new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to see the barns/barn quilts, as well as the sweet country town church behind picket fencing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely church and I do like the barn on the tree

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a cool fund raiser. I’d love someone to paint a custom made barn quilt on our daughters barn (that we use a space in for storage and Bills work space if he has a project).

    ReplyDelete
  7. The quilt signs are neat! That church is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That 'tree barn' is great,

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love barn quilts. They bring such a fun and unexpected bit of color.

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.