March 16, 2019

A Lucky Shot, Some Birds, and a Cat.

Let me start off with a picture I almost didn't get. I was in Shenandoah National Park when only the first five miles of Skyline Drive were open. A winter storm had made higher elevations icy and had also felled numerous trees, so only the portion from Front Royal to Dickey Ridge was clear, not uncommon in the winter. I saw some movement over one of the stone walls, just the ears of a couple of deer. I slowed down, opened the window and stopped. (No one was behind me because the park was basically deserted that afternoon.) I raised the camera just as this deer raised her head. I only clicked the shutter once before she disappeared. 


This lady cardinal was at one of my feeders this morning. How nice that she was lit by a sunbeam! I think the females are quite beautiful when the light brings out their colors.

The male cardinals are more famous because they are bright red. Usually you see one every time you see a female. They are devoted guardians.


Today is Caturday so here's a kitty picture. I filtered the background but not the cat, using a duplicate layer in Photoshop. (Layers are awesome once you get used to using them.)

This goldfinch posed nicely for me. Finches are easily bribed into being photographed. I keep a couple of feeders filled and they are in my yard all winter.

A housefinch and a junco are sharing a seed bell. I hope they ate their fill before a squirrel took over and decimated the seed.

There's another junco in the next picture.


And for today's finale, a Canada Goose. 
Saturday's Critters and I'd Rather Be Birdin'. 

14 comments:

  1. Excellent!! Each & every ONE!

    Thank you for sharing this with us birders at I'd Rather B Birdin' this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and who doesn't love a cardinal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, pretty variety of birds. The deer photo is so cute! Thanks so much for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Sunday, enjoy your day! Have a great new week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never understood layers in photoshop. Guess that's one thing I'll leave to you photographers. It does look good on the cat shot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done. I cannot get close to the birds, for now!
    (ツ) from Cottage Country Ontario , ON, Canada!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are lovely photos!

    Purrs xx
    Athena and Marie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it when one gets a surprise shot like the first one, alwasy special as it does not happen often. Have a happy week, Diane

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful deer! The Goldfinches have just returned to our feeders this week. It's been nice to see them! A few even had a bright yellow color. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whoa. That shot of the deer is great. Sometimes it's good to be lucky, right? :)

    All of your photos are wonderful. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. very nice selection like that deer pose

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great shots! I especially like the one of the deer. You timed that one perfectly.

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.