March 17, 2019

The Oldest Church Building in Culpeper

St. Stephen's Episcopal Church was built in 1821. During the Civil War, the church was used as a hospital. In the winter of 1863, Confederate General J.E.B. Stuart and his staff attended church here.

On a matter unrelated except for the word Saint, today happens to be St. Patrick's Day. I hope you had a nice day, whether you identify as Irish or not.

I don't think of myself as Irish, but DNA shows I am 61% from the British Isles, so I probably have some Irish blood. Here is a traditional wish from Ireland for you:
May your day be touched by a bit of Irish luck, brightened by a song in your heart, and warmed by the smiles of the people you love. 

8 comments:

  1. The church does look old and has a interesting history from the sound of it. I'm 100% Irish, both my parents come from Southern Ireland ene though I was born in Oxford

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, it is a pretty church. I like the steeple and entrance too. Enjoy your day, have a happy week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well done framing the church through the gateway...it's certainly got history in its walls.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love old buildings and we have so many here, Happy day Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Quite a beautiful church. General Stuart was quite a character.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very stately church. I have plenty of Irish in my family, confirmed by DNA, which was fun to find out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Interesting looking church. I have a little Irish in me, but I am mostly Welsh, Dutch, and German.

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.