October 27, 2024

Elkwallow to Thornton Gap

Shenandoah National Park


This post is a continuation of yesterday‘s account of my autumnal journey on Skyline Drive. I took way too many photos for one post, even after winnowing them down to my favorites. 

I stopped at the store at Elkwallow Wayside and then drove through the picnic area. There are no elk here, although they have been re-introduced into Virginia in a far corner of the state. 



I stopped at a few more overlooks.





By the time I reached Pass Mountain Overlook, I was ready to stretch my legs, and there’s a short trail that is not strenuous. 



From there, it’s a short drive to the exit to Route 211. I’m glad I went when I did. The colorful foliage does not last very long and I avoided the weekend crowds.


1 comment:

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.