September 5, 2024

Happy Anniversary to Charlie

It has been two years since I adopted Charlie. On this day in 2022, Lynn and I went to Charlottesville to meet him. He was living with a foster family who had a dog. Charlie seemed to regard us with suspicion and would not come to us.. I was worried that he did not like me, so Lynn and I went to lunch to talk about it.


I phoned the person at the animal shelter who had told me about Charlie. He was one of 4000 beagles who was rescued from a large breeding facility that did not treat the dogs well. The rescued dogs had gone to various facilities around the country that were handling the adoptions. 

The woman felt that he would be fine and urged me to give him a chance. We went back to the foster family and got him. I took a picture of him saying goodbye to his foster mom.  


Once he was in the car, he wanted to come up front with me. No, not safe! We secured him in the backseat using a doggy seatbelt that Lynn had brought. He chewed through it by the time we reached Waynesboro. I had also brought a seatbelt for him so I put that on his harness. I quickly learned that he likes to chew on things when he is riding in the car. The moving car makes him very anxious, and we are still working on that, but he has come a long way

Once home, he appeared to enjoy his new life. Now he seems to be happy, although he does not like being alone. As I write this, he is sleeping on the couch beside me.

Happy Gotcha Day, Charlie!

7 comments:

  1. Life became a whole lot better for Charlie the day he met you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    Happy Anniversary to Charlie, he does have a happy life since you have rescued him. Take care, have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Charlie has become an integral part of your life for the last two years, and I love when he shares blogs as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're giving Charlie the home he deserves. Happy Anniversary, Charlie.

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.