August 4, 2024

Olympics, Doglympics, and a Quirk


Like most people, I’ve watched highlights of Summer Olympics. Sometimes I gasp at the feats of the gymnasts. How do they do those things?

Charlie is athletic, although he is not trained enough to win in the Doglympics. His specialty is running. He can also jump very well, albeit sometimes recklessly. He makes up for his lack of training by being very social.


I did not watch the Olympics on television but watched short videos on the Internet. Here is a quirk about me: I don’t like television. I haven’t turned it on in over a year and I suspect that the battery in the remote had died by now. I have nothing against entertainment; it’s just that when I was married, the television was on just almost all the time and I got sick of hearing it, especially since so much of it was the same thing over and over.

I do keep up with the news on the radio and online. I have apps for NPR and Reuters, as well as weather programs. I subscribe to the Washington Post online, partly because it seems important to financially support at least one newspaper. I listen to music on the radio, and I borrow CDs from the library to round out my own collection. I suppose CDs are old-fashioned now, but music over the Internet sounds tinny to me. 

I may as well give quick health updates. My vision has not cleared up yet, but it can take a week or so, or I might have to get a different injection. I had the infected tooth pulled and took antibiotics. I hoped that would help clear up my sinus infection, but it hasn’t. I quit physical therapy because it kept making my back hurt and they were limited by what insurance would allow. I don’t think my balance improved. I still suffer from extreme fatigue, but it’s hard to tell how much of that is due to the dog waking me up before dawn. I try going to bed earlier, but then I toss and turn. My plan now is to stop consuming caffeine at 2 PM instead of 3 PM to see if that helps me sleep. I’m sensitive to so many things, it’s ridiculous. And don’t get me started on allergies.

But the amount of medical knowledge is said to double every 73 days. That means that things that are a mystery to us now may be known a few months from now. The trick is keeping up with what’s new. Chances are that a doctor who actually treats patients does not have time to read all the new research. Thus it behooves us to try to keep up with news on our own conditions. This is complicated by all the fake news and rumors on social media, and the misinterpretations that we see on regular media. Frankly, some reporters don’t understand what they’re writing about. Still, I am hopeful. Seventy-three days… and it’s exponential. Amazing.

9 comments:

  1. That's how it is Linda in all sciences in this day and age research is making discoveries very quickly and scientists need to be informed!! Have a nice week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always enjoyed playing sports when I was younger but I have never been a huge fan of watching them. I have not seen even a minute of the Olympic Games, and I doubt very much that I will. The athletes are almost a side show to skulduggery, cheating, gender issues, drug tests, xenophobia, round-the-clock armed guards…..and so on. A couple of years ago our old TV died and we were six half months without one. Now, we watch almost exclusively BBC Earth and that sparingly. To have the TV on all the time would drive me quite mad. I hope that your health will improve. Sounds like it needs to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for supporting both NPR and the Post. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...ah, enjoying the Golden Years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Charlie sure looks like a handful! I suspect that Barb is a lot like you and the TV would not be on if it was not for me. I often have it home just as background noise when I am doing other things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for health update...this is a place where we share with almost strangers, but the community of bloggers seem to be a caring group, with a few exceptions. As opposed to Facebook where people slam each other willy nilly. I don't even do other social medias. I did enjoy streaming olympics I wanted to see, and fast forwarding through those I didn't. Having set up recordings on the TV system made that possible. Otherwise, commercials galore!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am very sorry to hear about all your health issues. This must all be very stressful for you. I have the utmost respect with the medical people I have been dealing with this year but I also fully believe we have to be our own advocates. You are very wise! I also wanted to remind you if you ever needed any help with driving during regarding your eye ops and recovery, etc., I am not too far away. All that being said I haven’t watched too much of the Olympics but I do enjoy track. Lastly, Charlie is so cute looking through the fence at the other dog, and running like the wind!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hope your health improves. We gave up our tv 15 years ago and don't miss it at all. Charlie looks like he is having a wonderful day running. Take care and have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have no television service but will watch some movie I own if I feel like it. It's been mostly online that I've seen bits and pieces of the Olympics, including a clip of a Brazilian handball player carrying her injured opponent off the court. That was the very best to me of what the Olympics can be.

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.