May 1, 2024

Learning to Ride a Bicycle

In Tauxemont, Alexandria, VA


These pictures are from decades ago.  My little sister Peggy was learning to ride a bike so my mother was steadying her. 

In the second picture, Peggy is holding the bike and the newspaper boy is at the door collecting the subscription fee. That’s how daily papers were delivered back then: Peter Kanwit delivered the Evening Star to a tube attached to our mailbox and regularly he would collect the fee. 


I took these pictures with my first camera, a simple plastic Kodak camera. They are in an old scrapbook and badly faded. I took a picture of them yesterday using my cell phone and the PhotoScan app and then darkened them. I’ll show you how faded they were before I changed them. They looked even lighter in the Photos app, so I may have overdone the second one.

5 comments:

  1. ...we have a grandson who just got his driver's license and does know how to ride a bike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had one of those Kodak box cameras. I even have one photo of me and my siblings on bikes (I guess my mother snapped the shutter). Perfect subject. Good that you are preserving them. My black and white pics lasted better than color.
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures. I bought a scanner, I scan and sort them, of course I think the next generation (my children) might throw them away, but I love them! I love yours where you shot your sister on the bike, it brings back so many memories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It’s remarkable how old pictures can be rehabilitated by technology.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Admittedly I have not been on a bike in years.

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.