March 25, 2024

Mural at Hunter’s Woods

Reston, VA


This mural covers the Colts Neck Road underpass. Reston is outside my usual daily travels, but it’s not far from a place where I was going shopping so I decided to locate and photograph the mural. It decorates these walls along the walking path. I did not photograph every part of the painting in the dark area of the tunnel, but it is all similar in style. 

Let’s start with a look at the path. It is well utilized. Reston was a planned community with plenty of walking paths. I can remember when it was rather rural and quiet, but now it is a city with high-rise buildings.

Mosaic Monday / Murals
I decided to photograph the mural on my right side as I walked through, and then turn around and photograph the other side on my way back.



I found a sign on the other side of the underpass telling about this mural by artist Ben Volta and community members. You can read details on the CODA website. It also has pictures of the mural when it was new. The name Thoreau’s Ensemble refers to a quote by Henry David Thoreau to, “Pursue some path, however crooked and narrow, in which you can walk with love and reverence.”





11 comments:

  1. I really do like this form of street art - I often think I should take some pictures, but I seem to get distracted!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Street art is the jewel of the routes. I like !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thoreau doubtless had a different sort of path in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...a fabulous bright spot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is colorful! Take care, have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, these are beautiful. Maybe I should send some pics to the people responsible for the murals in my town.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful! I really liked the Thoreau quote and it's connection.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice looking mural, very colourful.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. These murals are real eye-catchers. They are less beautiful here in the old town. It's not right to smear historic buildings. But we also have a community that regularly paints the tunnel to the train station, for example. in some post (...I have to search...) I wrote about it.

    And I'm delighted with your contribution to
    MosaicMonday

    I wish you and your family a pleasant week, and at the same time I wish you happy Easter holidays
    Heidrun

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.