November 16, 2023

Cold Dawns, Smoky Dusks

Yesterday I mentioned that we've been trying to adapt to the change from daylight savings time to standard time. By "we," I mean my dog hasn't adjusted and I'm trying to train him to sleep until daylight. 

One morning he wanted to go out really early, but I waited until there was a glimmer of light in the sky.


Since then, I’ve managed to wait until a little later. Hopefully he will adjust this way. It’s really cold in the early morning, too. 


We’ve had some pretty skies in the evening.


Yesterday I had an appointment in Harrisonburg, and the air was smoky from wildfires to the south. My eyes felt very irritated. But the smoke particles provide colorful sunsets. I pulled off to take a skywatch picture on the way home. Currently the sun goes down now at 5 PM. (Oh, I miss the long days of summer!) 

The final photo is from this evening.


12 comments:

  1. Kudos to you for sticking with Charlie and being patient. I suspect you are like my wife and I, getting a pet is a lifelong commitment. Our pomeranian puppy, Kodi, has aggression issues, especially with me but we are keeping him regardless. Anyway, hopefullly Charlie will come around.
    Dirty little secret, that you hint about, is that polluted skies make great sunset photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We saw some hazy skies from that fire yesterday.
    Your sky images are lovely, beautiful sunset.
    Take care, have a great day and happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...2023 will go down as the year of smoky skies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful skies! Yes, we're having the same problem with our dog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have the Virginia wildlife haze now where I live in the Southern Tier of New York.My eyes have also been a bit irritated. None of us can seem to escape but, as Yogi says, it can make for some great sunset skies. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Depressing to think that as the climate becomes more erratic, we have to expect more dry hot weather and thus more fires. SO many things are wrong in the world, I'm grateful for the beautiful skies. (I saw the new moon just as the sun was setting also).
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Some lovely skies here, nice to see.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fifth photo from the bottom looks like angel wings in the sky. My word! My goodness! Thanks for posting some really nice images. Charlie will catch on. You are training him with patience and understanding. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.