July 1, 2023

Climate

CDP Theme Day Post

The first of the month is Theme Day for members of City Daily Photo, and today’s theme is Climate. Much of North America is dealing with climate problems right now. We are getting smoky haze from fires in Canada, and places in the south are dealing with record high temperatures.

This afternoon I stopped along Forestville Road to capture some haze and saw a storm coming in. It was obscuring my view of the mountains, even more than the haze was.

Later, I was driving home on the interstate and the rain got so heavy I decided to get off and take the Valley Pike, which has a slower speed limit and plenty of places to pull off. In the town of Edinburg, I parked the car and waited for the rain to let up.

The big splashes of water were distorting my view. I took advantage of the special effects to take some pictures with my cell phone.

I was reminded of a Bob Dylan song.
I’ve stumbled on the side of twelve misty mountains
I’ve walked and I’ve crawled on six crooked highways
I’ve stepped in the middle of seven sad forests
I’ve been out in front of a dozen dead oceans
I’ve been ten thousand miles in the mouth of a graveyard
And it’s a hard, and it’s a hard, it’s a hard, and it’s a hard
And it’s a hard rain’s a-gonna fall.

We’ve been hearing about climate change for years. Many people refused to believe in it. I always thought it was something that would happen in the future, hopefully not in my lifetime . Now I see that it is happening in my lifetime.

If you don’t believe in it, that’s your privilege. But still, keep your emergency supplies handy. 
Adults keep saying: “We owe it to the young people to give them hope.” But I don’t want your hope. I don’t want you to be hopeful. I want you to panic. I want you to feel the fear I feel every day. And then I want you to act. I want you to act as you would in a crisis. I want you to act as if the house is on fire. Because it is.
~ Greta Thunberg
(Fiery Image generated by Craiyon AI)


6 comments:

  1. ...this week's smoke reminds me that climate change is here to stay. Sorry Republicans!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It astonishes me that every time I read a report on the fires from the US it always mentions that the smoke is from Canada.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blaming Canada is a fun pastime and there’s a cartoon movie… but I can’t explain it.

      Delete
  3. Interesting and thought-provoking Linda. I have been reading a lot about climate change lately, and it is very concerning. Interesting lyrics from the Bob Dylan song. I like your rainy-day photos and that beautiful scenic one. The AI picture is very interesting also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am loving the rainy shots. so cool!! what fun. have a great rest of your Sunday. be well. ( ;

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.