October 27, 2021

Geese, Ducks, and Questions

Here we have some geese and a turtle. Mr. Turtle often appears in that spot, probably because the geese have worn the shoreline into an area that makes a passable ramp.


So I have a mystery and maybe a reader can solve it. Who is putting tiny shells in my bird baths and why?Here we see a few little shells in the bird bath next to some willow leaves. Someone suggested a crow but I've never seen one on our deck. This happened in two different bird baths. 

I assume the shells are from the lake that is next to our yard. Here are some geese and ducks gathering to be fed on the opposite shore. Someone feeds them every morning around 8:00. Often I hear car horns honking because the geese stand in the road in expectation of being fed. It's futile to honk at them though. I have better luck opening the window and drumming on the side of the door. 

 And finally, some of these guys in flight. I think they're ducks; or do you think they're geese?

10 comments:

  1. I do know crows might be inclined to make use of objects, so it wouldn't surprise me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the view of geese and turtle, amazing. Perhaps crows, but you havent seen them, other birds could be. Happy greetings..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely images! Here with us are mostly magpies that carry objects, but the scenery is of course completely different. Wish I had a lake nearby...
    Greetings from Germany

    ReplyDelete
  4. Regarding the shells, crows would be my guess. Time for a trail cam!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello,
    You do have a lot geese there. I have seen gulls dropping shells, like the other above said it could be the crows. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a mystery!
    I especially like the birds in flight photo!
    Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well whoever did it has repeated himself...so perhaps you can set up your critter cam and catch him at it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pássaros gansos e patos , amo tudo isso!
    bj

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.