May 24, 2021

Navigation Irritation

But at least I found some murals.

Last week I had an appointment with a neurologist in Northern Virginia. I knew the general area because I used to work in Merrifield and basically it was there, although the address is Annandale. I was counting on my car's navigation system to find the address, and that was a mistake. The street name was unknown to the system, and after losing time in the long construction zone that is I-66, I did not have time to go to plan B, but there was no choice. I called the doctor's office and went through one of those phone systems that seems designed to discourage you from calling. When I finally got an answer, that person transferred me to someone else who didn't know what street I should turn on. I had to pull into a parking lot and consult Google maps. 
Fortunately the doctor was able to see me even though I arrived late. She was reassuring about my concerns (which are related to my unusual vision problems), so all went well there.

The building itself is being remodeled and enlarged. I was pleased to find a mural near the lobby. 
Monday Murals

This is not a painted mural; it is electronic and the ducks move around on the water.  

Mosaic Monday / Shadow Shot / Blue Monday

The building is huge and part of an extensive complex. I learned it was once headquarters to a major oil company but is now part of Inova Health Systems.

From there I went to lunch and then instructed my NAV system to find Mom's Organic Market, which I knew was nearby. Unfortunately the system did not know that a street has been closed off to make a walking mall and outdoor dining area and when I could not go that way, it took me around in a circle. I declined to circle a second time and found my way to the far side of the parking garage, which I recognized from flowers painted on a wall. It was a good thing I had been there before, although I had come in from the opposite direction. 


After buying a few organic groceries that are not sold in my area, I went by the Merrifield Post Office to get a picture. It is a large regional postal center that serves Northern Virginia. I remember going there when I worked in Merrifield many years ago. Much of that community has changed but the post office is still there. 

The place I worked, ACTech, hasn't been there in years. I had joined the company when it was in Alexandria and was not happy about it moving to Merrifield, which I called the armpit of Northern Virginia because it was located inside the juncture of two interstates and subject to pollution. I learned a lot about computers from working there because they sold customized computers and peripherals. 

15 comments:

  1. ...I've never seen a mural like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And to think we used to find our way around with paper maps! The mural is quite remarkable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm fond of paper maps but they rarely have enough detail. Recently we drove to Pennsylvania and I made a point of stopping at a visitors center to get a state map.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for a great post. Yes, navigation in this daily changing world of ours has become a challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very interesting interactive mural. I do go upset with google maps sometimes when it sends me to streets that have closed, changed directions, etc, but it's better than the old paper maps, lol. I like the flower mural to. Thanks for participating in Monday Murals Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting how we've both visited the same places. I've visited that Inova complex many times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, interesting! I was surprised at how big it has become.

      Delete
  6. I probably would have never made that appointment as I have become way too dependent on my GPS. (I have a terrible sense of direction and bad map-reading skills.) Liked the mural a lot and obviously your old job taught you a lot even if it was located in a less than ideal area! ... (oh and glad you got good news about the eye problem -- or at least not bad news.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great mural (and post office) and I'm glad you found the market. Maps that aren't updated mean even the GPS directions can be a mess.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Linda - when I was still traveling for work, I always used to study paper maps before I would go somewhere new - it always helped me to have a visual orientation in my head in case something went wrong! And it amazes me these days how many people you talk to that can't give you verbal directions to the place they work. How do they get there every day? So glad to hear that the old building got a new life rather than sitting empty ... Thanks for linking to Mosaic Monday with these interesting photos! I liked the large blue painting in the waiting area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was funny because the woman who did not know the street name said, "I just look for the specialty building." Yet there is no sign that says that!

      Delete
  9. Oh wow, the next time I go to Annandale I won’t rely on my phone. Sometimes it’s good to get an honest to goodness paper map. Which reminds me, I need to pop into AAA to buy their large print Atlas. I certainly need an up-to-date one. Keeping fingers crossed they are no longer obsolete. Good to learn your neurology appointment went well. That mural is great!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Getting lost can sometimes be a pain, and sometimes a blessing.

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.