February 1, 2021

Blog Post #7420: Smile in Monochrome.

Good, Random, Fun.

Smile is today's theme on City Daily Photo. Since almost every person I see these days is wearing a face mask, I had to go back in my archives to find a good smile. I opened a really old photo album and found one of my favorite smiles, that of my mother. 

When I took this photo, I was a teenager. My dad didn't even look up from his reading. He wasn't always this serious, but he was a studious type. He had been an accountant, served in the Navy in logistics / supplies, worked for Veteran's Affairs and then as a statistician for the Census Bureau. I remember as a young child being amazed that he worked with room-size counting machines called computers. My older sister had seen them and was a bit scared of them.

 
Back to the present: We got more snow this morning, turning our yard into a winter wonderland.  I took pictures from various window. These were color shots but snow falling turns things monochromatic.

A few days ago, I photographed one of Front Royal's newest murals. It faces an alley so I took a panoramic shot plus individual shots of sections which I put into a collage below. The panorama may look distorted into a curve, depending on how the browser decides to display it. 
Monday Murals / Mosaic Monday.

The artist decided to paint the long mural as a series of black and white panels, even though the subjects are outdoors in nature. I think he did a wonderful job. The scenes could very well be in the nearby Blue Ridge Mountains. 


Rabbit, Rabbit.  Saying that on the first of the month is said to bring you luck, or as I learned when young, it lets you take someone else's good luck!

I saw this smiling toy rabbit in a shop. 

15 comments:

  1. Linda - what a lovely photo of your Mom! At dinner tonight, we were just talking about the storm that is dumping snow in a variety of places - but not Montana! With your latest mural, I like that the artist chose to keep it black and white - it brings out the details more! Thanks for linking to Mosaic Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a very beautiful photo of your mum Linda, a gorgeous smile and the nonchalant look on your dad's face made me smile 😊 Looooved the snow shots and the mural ✨

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's interesting that they both look like they are ready to go out, dressed in their finery, and he sitting at home wearing a tie! No jeans and tee shirts back then!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your mother’s smile is beautiful. So full of joy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...the bunny adds a touch of color.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful photo of your parents, your Mom looks so happy :)
    The black and white mural is interesting. Thanks for participating in Monday Murals Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved the photo of your parents. I enjoyed reading that your father was a statistician. A man after my own heart, although I prefer the private sector.

    SO loved the snow photos, and of course, the black and white mural. It is HUGE and I loved the horse especially.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved the mural! Yes, panorama photos are strange looking compared to reality. Great smile and captured of your parents. Keep safe and warm.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Boa tarde. As fotos são incríveis. Parabéns.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rabbit, rabbit. I love that photo of your parents. It would fit right into a 1950s/60s family spread in Life or Look magazine. Also love your panoramic shot. I never thought about shooting from that angle for a long overview. Must try it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the black and white mural, so much detail. Aww like all of us, you are a daddy's girl. Love the smile/laughing in the photo compared to his serious face.
    Dawn aka Spatulas On Parade

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think the smiling toy rabbit is so cute.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  13. Um casal bonito e ela com um belo sorriso! bj

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.