January 1, 2021

Welcome to 2021.

2020 Photo of the Year

I have a tough time picking a Photo of the Year for the City Daily Photo Theme Day. This time I felt that it needed to reflect the pandemic that marked the year. Fortunately I had tagged 93 posts with the label "Covid-ality," so I scanned through those posts and picked some photos. Since this was an election year and politics were as upsetting as the fear of Covid-19, I decided to use this picture I took right after voting. I voted early to avoid being in a crowd.


It's not a flattering picture but here I am with my "I voted" sticker that I put on my mask to record the event with a selfie. 

During the first weeks when the virus was spreading in the United States, Virginia's governor instituted a lockdown in which non-essential businesses closed and citizens were urged to stay home. Then places were allowed to open up in stages and the virus counts started to rise. We were urged to wear masks but a significant number of people refused to cooperate. 


We were urged to maintain a "social distance" to avoid spreading the virus, which easily spreads via droplets when someone speaks or even breathes out. 

The last time I saw Lynn was a few months ago when we met for lunch. We ate outdoors and kept our masks on except when actually eating. This was before she came down with Covid, which happened in late November. She is still recovering. It's a terrible disease even when you don't need to be hospitalized. 

Today I had a little meltdown while we put away our Christmas decorations. I missed seeing my daughters so much over the holidays! It was not a festive season at all. 

On a more positive note, I learned to participate in virtual meetings and was able to contribute a little bit to supporting our new park in Woodstock, Seven Bends State Park. 

It wasn't a lost year but it was a stressful one. I'll close with a sunset picture from two days ago.

Skywatch: From Skyline Drive.

11 comments:

  1. I stuck my I Voted sticker on one of the windows of my car. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,
    The photo of the year, I voted wearing the mask is great! It is a year we will never forget, I hope things will be returning to normal soon. Beautiful sunset! Take care, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to hear Lynn is recovering. Was so sorry about that. Enjoyed your mask photo, I thought you looked very nice in it. Enjoyed the whole series here. Great theme for what's going on right now. Take good care of yourself and Happy New Year :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. yes, I also felt my theme photo needed to be about the pandemic. And like you I chose my "I voted" photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...some still don't get it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Three simple things we are asked to do. Wear a mask. Wash our hands. Stay six feet away from everyone.
    Simple. No one seems to get it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My brother in law got COVID in April and I think of the health care workers we communicated with during his 3 week hospitalization - I wonder how they are doing, if any of them have gotten sick, and I am sickened by the disrespect they are shown by some who just don't get it. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I voted by mail, which is the norm in Colorado. I was shocked to realize this year that it isn't a widespread thing at all. We have our share of mask non-believers as well here too. I hope your 2021 is better (heck I hope it is for ALL of us, including mask non-believers!). Happy New Year, Linda, I enjoy your photos! Tamera

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great to vote with sticker to show for it...our county didn't give out stickers, wanting to keep from people touching the same things I guess. Many of us are hopeful for 2021 to be better in a lot of ways.

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.