January 16, 2021

Geese and Friends.

It's been cold enough for ice to form on the lake. Canada Geese like to hang out around an unfrozen pond in the middle of the ice. I imagine it offers safety if a predator should appear. 



Some mallard ducks were out there too. 

At least two families of mostly white geese live near us.  One group visits our back yard every day. They seem to think they own the place. 



I saw some visiting ducks. These are not mallards. (What are they? Buffleheads?)


Goldfinches visit our yard just about every day, probably because I feed them. 

Yesterday I looked out and saw a couple of young squirrels who did not know that the geese own the yard. At first the geese were curious about the furry intruders. Then the gray goose, who often watches over the others, decided to intimidate the squirrels. 


The squirrels did not react immediately but then they moved away. The lead goose strutted off with his head held high. 

I've noticed that geese often do that: stretch their necks up after behaving aggressively. Some people do this too.


15 comments:

  1. Hello,
    I love the Geese and ducks, you have a nice group there hanging out. I have seen a Canada Goose stretching his neck to look bigger and fussing like he was going to attack. Great photos! Thank you so much for linking up and sharing your post. Take care, happy Sunday. Have a great new week! PS, thank you for the visit and comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been bitten by geese many times (you'd think I'd learn). Terrific images ...all of them! I think the goose & squirrel is post card perfect for your blog title!
    Thanks for joining us at IRBB this week. Happy birding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a wonderful garden, and a lake too. For the Geese, beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...Linda, you have a wonderful assortment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow...now that looks like a party. it's so nice to see such a wide variety of waterfowl in one place, getting along beautifully!!

    the goldfinch is looking very sweet in it's winter wear!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ice? That looks cold but they don't seem to mind! Fun photos! I'll send you some of our squirrels! lol Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have lots of geese and other waterfowl who live here year round now. Some of them make pests of themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So now I know the solution to my backyard squirrel problem! Send that gray goose this way, I've got a job for him. Enjoyed all your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I miss ice and the sound of geese. Nice shots!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful collection of photographs this is :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like seeing these geese and that squirrel is cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. loved to see all of the birds. And, the squirrels should be careful.
    Nice shots!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those white birds are domestic geese.

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.