December 23, 2020

It's Festivus!

This evening I felt rather sad because we won't be getting together with family on Christmas due to Covid. Then I read that December 23rd is Festivus, and Lynn and I joked about it via text, so I laughed and felt better. 


Since Festivus involves a metal pole instead of a Christmas tree, I decided to select photos with poles for today's post. If you are wondering what I am talking about, don't worry. It's a fictitious holiday that was an elaborate joke on a sitcom "about nothing."

The first two photos are from five days ago when we had plenty of snow. Most of it has melted now. The bluejay and Carolina wren are striking the same pose. 

By the next day, birds and squirrels had worn away much of the snow around the poles. Mourning doves often find seed that's spilled on the ground.



On Monday I bought another pole so I could put up additional feeders. Tractor Supply only had two styles left and one was too long to fit in my car so I had to get the other one, a fancier design with a weather vane on top.  


Squirrels are very good at climbing poles. They eat more than their share of bird seed. This one just about emptied the feeder.


May every holiday you are celebrating be pleasant and safe!
 

13 comments:

  1. We too are not celebrating Christmas with our sons. Hopefully better situation by next year. Pretty birds and cute squirrel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year 2021 to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take care and I am sending prayers for your family. I wish them a quick recovery. Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful pictures and yes that these pictures fits with your words at this Christmas and the doves got some sunlight on the ground. And the squirrel has came to look of you had filled the birdfeeder again.

    This christmas is for us also filled with sadness because we lost many friends and the last family members through the covid this year. But all are angels now and singing a christmas song from heaven to us all. I wish you a healty new year and for now a merry christmas.

    ★*2020★* 。 • ˚ ˚ ˛ ˚ ˛ •
    •。★2021 ★ 。* 。
    ° 。 ° ˛˚˛ * _Π_____*。*˚
    ˚ ˛ •˛•˚ */______/~\。˚ ˚ ˛
    ˚ ˛ •˛• ˚ | 田田 |門| ˚

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...stay safe, stay seperate for now so that you have many more Merry Christmases to come.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd never heard of Fesivus...but I'll take your word for it. Happy Christmas Eve! I continue to wish good health and happiness...even joy, for all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You look after your birds so well. Lovely photos as always and interesting. Happy Christmas and all the best for the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very pretty birds, and such a cute squirrel.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Merry Christmas and Happy Festivus!!

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.