July 11, 2020

Thrashing About or Staying Still.

I saw this bird digging a hole in a sandy spot and stirring up dust in my yard.

Sometimes birds like to take "dust baths." I believe this one is an immature brown thrasher.
I'd Rather Be Birdin' / Saturday's Critters
Yesterday I posted some pictures from Capon Springs. Here's a small rabbit statuette that was in their garden.

Not far from there I saw this peacock sculpture at a driveway entrance.

Back in the world of living creatures, I spotted a deer near the Big Meadows picnic area in Shenandoah National Park. I think it had bedded down and didn't feel like getting up just because a car stopped. I took the picture through an open window.

The final picture is also from Shenandoah National Park. I had stopped at an overlook and heard a bird cawing. I tried to spot it through my zoom lens and saw a crow take flight.



16 comments:

  1. nice collection of critters. Seeing birds bathing is always fun. Sand or water, both are fun to watch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Muy bonito tu blog, me quedo por aquí.
    Saludos

    ReplyDelete
  3. :-D The photo of the dust bathing bird is so funny! Great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, I love the dust bathing Brown Thrasher? They have those pretty yellow eyes. The statue and sculpture are beautiful. Sweet shot of the deer laying down. Great capture of the crow in flight. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Enjoy your day, wishing you a happy new week! PS, thank you for the comment and visit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...that excavating bird is neat!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A cute bird taking a dust bath. Pretty garden sculptures too and great deer shot and flying crow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely photos. Peacock sculpture is great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cool shots of critters (and artsy critters) today. I'm with the deer, just too much trouble to get up.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That bird looks like it's having fun in the dirt! Love seeing neat things in people's yards too! Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i love all the art ... very cool. sculptures. what fun. happy Sunday. ( ;

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful shots of the young Brown Thrashers - endearing too. We all respond to the young of any species, don't we?

    ReplyDelete
  12. lucky shot to see the crow using your lens like that!!

    be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. That’s good spotting to see the thrasher bathing in the dust! I remember seeing similar bird behaviour (not a thrasher) when I first started really *looking* at birds ... I thought something was wrong with it until I looked it up! .... The deer isn’t afraid because she knows she lives in a safe place! I am glad.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I enjoyed your creature photos today. I like the whimsical statue and sculpture.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I do like the rabbit statuette, it made me smile :)

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.