June 8, 2020

Hawksbill and Hupps Hill Random-osity


 The Good: I spotted these signs near Luray and I pulled into a parking lot to get a picture. I wanted to show the electronic "STAY SAFE" sign plus the historical marker but the electronic sign did not photograph well. I took images with both my Sony and my iPhone and figured one of them would come out correctly but I was mistaken. I suppose I should have tried a longer exposure.


But I was glad I pulled over because when I drove around the parking lot to turn around, I spotted a mural on an overpass. I walked down the paved trail and took pictures. There was a second mural farther on which I'll show another day. I hope you can view this panoramic shot I took with my cell phone. It is embedded using code from Facebook. 



A small sign says the artwork is "Vermilion Sunset" by Gwynnavier Jones. The regular shot doesn't show the size as it is foreshortened by the angle. 

Monday Murals.
The Random: Some other images from along the path along Hawksbill Creek.
Mosaic Monday.
The Fun: We had our first social distancing picnic at Hupps Hill yesterday. We met Allison and David at a parking lot near Strasburg and they followed us to the park. They brought their food and we brought ours. We ate at opposite ends of a picnic table and chatted.

There is a visitors center at Hupps Hill but it has been closed due to the pandemic. The park has remained open. It has historical markers and a karst geology trail.


14 comments:

  1. I like that socially distant picnic.. all we’ve done is sit in our daughters yard and chat (and we wear masks, but at least I can see part of their face!). ... the beautiful sun mural showed up very well... I’m glad you stopped there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...Virginia has such neat historic markers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I quite like the sunset mural. Thanks for participating Linda.
    It seems you are slowly getting back to normal life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautifully colored mural!

    be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. You always see m to find beautiful murals in unexpected places, thanks for sharing them with us. Here in UK we haven't been able to see family or friends for 10 weeks because of the covis 19 lockdown but on Friday this week my sister and her husband will hopefully come and sit in our garden 2 metre apart of course and we will be able catch up properly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this nice great posting and I am glad that you could be with friends again!
    Have a good day, Elke

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good to capture the pano version (I'm not sure what FB embedded code means...but it worked) of the mural. I've been able to post photos that are panos right from my iPhone collection to blogger so far. So glad you got to have a picnic...it looks like a lovely place!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Linda - I have tried taking pictures of those same sorts of signs - it's tricky. Have to time it just right. How lucky to find the mural - and impressed you found a way to embed it in the post! Glad you are able to get out for picnics - even with the distancing, it is better than nothing! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice to hear of the picnic. We all need social interaction, distant or not!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I apologize for visiting so late. I really enjoyed the mural, but I also was happy to read about the cavalry engagement. Great random shots, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The sunset mural is splendid. I'd like to paint something like that on our metal shed. I love your COVID picnic, another idea I want to copycat. Cheers, Linda! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice smiles at your social distancing picnic …

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's so nice to be able to get out and about again.
    Dawn aka Spatulas On Parade

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hope you had fun on your picnic. The panoramic feature worked well--cool picture.

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.