February 22, 2020

Away from the Feeder.


The easiest way to get pictures of wild birds is to feed them! Squirrels too. But I'm more excited to get decent photos of them away from the feeders, because then they look more natural.

I have hundreds of pictures of birds and squirrels at the bird feeders. Here are some that are not, starting with a red-bellied woodpecker and a gray squirrel.

Next we have a grackle. He looks splendid when the light is just right, bringing out the iridescence of his feathers.


This Northern Flicker is a female. The males have a "mustache" streak. Flickers often find insects in the ground, so I guess that's what this one was looking for.

I used a zoom for these photos and then cropped them to look up-close. A zoom lens eats up light so sometimes you don't get much depth of field. I was lucky that the House Sparrow stayed still long enough to get his face in focus.




The last bird of the day is unreal. 😉

Sharing with Saturday's Critters and 




12 comments:

  1. Love the red-bellied but I really like the last one---the owly one. LOL
    MB

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I love the cute unreal bird. The real birds are cute too, especially the woodpecker and Flicker. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post.Enjoy your day, wishing you a happy new week ! PS, thank also for the visit and comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the portrait of the House Sparrow!
    And that Squirrel is too cute for words!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to see them in natural settings, as well as the humorous one with beady legs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your 'unreal' owl! Very cute! Nice birds you've seen this week too. We don't often see the Flicker here! Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. very true about capturing the birds on their "natural" elements!! i always try to share the pictures i capture with them in the trees, they are so much prettier!!

    your unreal owl is so pretty...except for those talons!! hehehehe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Being known as Hootin' Anni, I must say I adore the last bird very much. I want it. Lol

    Yes, I agree, photos away from the feeder are great, but I enjoy them any way I can see them.

    Thanks so much for sharing your link at I'd Rather B Birdin this week.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great photos. I like the way you did the house sparrow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such wonderful images! I've always liked starlings. My paternal grandfather couldn't abide them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The squirrel is particularly photogenic.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely photographs, the squirrel I love and the unreal bird too!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love your birdie post. so fun. great shots. hope u r well this week. take care. spring will be here soon i know it. ( ;

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.