December 14, 2019

Thursday on the Mountain, Today in the Valley.

I had an appointment in Front Royal on Thursday. It was one of those appointments that was frustrating: the doctor's office had failed to enter my appointment in the computer so I was not on the schedule. I pulled out the little appointment card they had given me and they admitted their mistake. They said they would work me in, but I wound up waiting a long time. Two and a half hours later, I finally finished my appointment. I went up to Skyline Drive to eat my delayed lunch and decompress.


The park was only open for the first five miles due to icy roads. Light was getting dim, but I saw several deer in the shadows on Dickey Ridge.

Then I saw a bear! He wasn't very big and he was heading into the forest, but he stopped for a few seconds and looked back. I got one decent photo before he ran up the hill.

Before leaving the mountain, I stopped at the first overlook and took a picture of Front Royal at dusk.


Near home, I tried to take a picture of the full moon rising, but I was shivering from the cold. Can you see the geese in the foreground? (Or should I say forewater?)
Weekend Reflections.
Saturday's Critters and I'd Rather Be Birdin'.

Today started out rainy and cold. Things cleared up this  afternoon. I photographed the cardinal pair through a window.

As the skies cleared, we headed to Strasburg for a Holiday Home Tour. We saw some cute dogs there.

We drove to John's Family Restaurant for dinner. I took a few pictures of the Christmas decor there.




9 comments:

  1. Hello, love the deer and bear, great sightings. The doggie is cute. Pretty capture of the moon. The Christmas lights are beautiful. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Enjoy your day, wishing you a great new week ahead. PS, thanks so much for leaving me a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...great captures of the deer which are common here, the bear is something that I rarely see!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super capture of wild and tame animals! The moon too, even though you were shivering! It seems you day was a long one, especially with waiting to see the Dr. I do hate that when it happens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool seeing the bear!! Love the deer. Happy Birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I'd still be running seeing a bear that close! Whoa.

    Sorry for being tardy visiting today. Internet connection issues. Thanks for joining us at I'd Rather B Birdin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely night reflection and I do see the geese. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great sightings, and nature is a great way to decompress after a frustrating morning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You shared some lovely photographs, after your frustrating wait to see the Doctor!
    My favourite is the reflection shot, it's beautiful and I can see the geese!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wspaniała przygoda! Spotkać niedźwiedzia! I cudowna para kardynałów!

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.