November 1, 2019

The Theme is Brown

When I read that the November theme for City Daily Photo is "Brown," I frowned. "I don't shoot much that's brown," I thought. But when I started scrolling through my October folder, I saw more brown than I expected. And today I shot some frames at the river that showed brown tones.


When you think about it, brown is not just one color. It can be red brown, or yellow brown, green brown or gray brown. It can be dark or light.

The color of the water depends upon the light. Often it reflects the color of the sky. When I see a river that looks brown, I think of a poem that I had to memorize in elementary school.

"Dark brown is the river. 
 Golden is the sand. 
 It flows along for ever, 
 With trees on either hand. 

Green leaves a-floating, 
 Castles of the foam, 
 Boats of mine a-boating— 
 Where will all come home?"

That was by Robert Louis Stevenson.


Today happens to be Friday, and there is a variety of blog hops tempting me to join. Willy Nilly Friday gives me an excuse to jump to different subjects, so I'll leave the river and show some Fences. Then I'll share a few other pictures with brown in them.

The sunburst and the horses were in Clarke County. Oh, I can use one of these for Skywatch Friday!





The log building is in the village of Hamburg in Page County. It was a church built shortly before 1800 and is known as Mauck's Meeting House.

The brown coat in the final image looked worn and old-fashioned. My theory is that the gentleman is a re-enactor and this is reinforced by his hat. We were on a Civil War tour, and living history is not a rare hobby around here. We are steeped in history in Virginia. I grew up on land once owned by George Washington. It seems like you can't drive more than 50 miles without crossing a Civil War battlefield.

I like it. Virginia in autumn is glorious! And in the spring, it's beyond delightful.

13 comments:

  1. Brown is the colour of late autumn. Love the views & the horses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...brown is becoming easy to find these days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely collection. Thanks. Enjoy the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exactly my thoughts about Brown until I looked at my photos. Great minds think alike, I guess. And I love the poem by Robert Louis Stevenson. I sang them in a song years ago at summer camp. I was looking for a good quote or poem for my post, but totally forgot about this poem. Thanks for jogging my memory.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we do kind of ignore brown, but when we take time to notice all the variations, it is a beautiful color!
    I like the poem. We memorized a lot of poetry in school, too, but not that one (or else I forgot it!).
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You don't realize how much brown is out there until you focus on it. Beautiful photos. I would like to visit Virginia sometime. Looks like beautiful countryside and so much history!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your shot of the horses is my favourite.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with you about Virginia and I enjoyed the poem. It's one I hadn't heard before. All kinds of beautiful browns here.

    ReplyDelete
  9. An interesting set of photos illustrating the colour brown. The Robert Louis Stevenson poems take me back to my childhood. I enjoyed the word pictures and rhythm when saying them out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great shots for the Brown theme.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  11. You live in a wonderland! And it (and your photographs) make brown look rich and beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great examples and variety for the color brown.

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.