July 9, 2019

Shenandoah Germanic Heritage Museum

Mt. Olive / Tom's Brook Area


The Hottel-Keller homestead is now a museum dedicated to the Hottel and Keller families and other German settlers in the Shenandoah Valley. It is open by appointment and on special occasions.

I attended Germanfest there in 2010 and 2013. They have not held a festival recently due to expenses and logistics.

When I read on their Facebook page that they would be open one Saturday, I made it a point to go by. Volunteers gave me a thorough tour and I took a few pictures.
Tuesday Treasures.
The Henry Keller House was built circa 1800.

8 comments:

  1. Living history is such a good way to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...a nice bit of history! I enjoy the tulip design on the Henry Keller House sign. Thanks Linda for sharing, I hope that you are enjoying your week,

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great building to be standing 219 years later. It does require quite an investment to keep old buildings together that long! I hope it lives a good long time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good to see and read Linda, thanks.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love old preserved homes and museums.Great info!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like an interesting place to visit. Nice photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Neat! I love stopping at historical places and museums and love when the volunteers are knowledgeable on the subject.

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.