May 19, 2019

The View from Wakemans Grove

Some people like to take the same routes over and over. I prefer to explore and go different ways, giving the old lizard brain a tweak.

Yesterday we had errands in Basye and on the way back I turned onto Swover Creek Road and then Wakemans Grove Road. Here we see Wakemans Grove Church of the Brethren.
InSpired Sunday.
The church was build around 1900 on land donated by John Ozias Wakeman. (I found a church history online.) The church grew over the years, and eventually more land was needed to expand the parking lot. That parcel of land was donated in 1964 by Henry O. Wakeman.

This is in a pretty rural area of Shenandoah County. The barn with a "barn quilt" painting stands near the intersection of Wakemans Grove and Swover Creek Road.


And finally, another farm scene for The Barn Collective.


14 comments:

  1. ...quilt block is alway a great find and this one is wonderful on the old weathered barn. Thanks Linda for stopping by, enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely...keep on using lizard brain...it's keeping us alive pretty well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i enjoy a bit of both ... some old but enjoy new roads as well. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that shot of the old barn. Really a beauty, and I'm curious about the barn quilt painting. Is that something you see on old barns from time to time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a fairly new art form. Artists paint large square pieces of plywood with patterns like you might find on a quilt. You can buy these online.

      Delete
  5. Admire your sense of adventure, exploring new roads. We do that when Bill drives, but by myself I don’t, because I can get lost in a broom closet! GPS makes me more confident, but “she” doesn’t like taking alternate routes either..... beautiful countryside around you and a sweet old-fashioned Church building.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love old barns. I think that it's great that you like to explore new pathways.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too like seeing new things. I love the barn with the quilt block on it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's amazing what you discover when you take a different way Linda, three lovely discoveries here ✨

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the barn with the "barn quilt".

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a beautiful church. I always enjoy seeing the painted barn quilts.

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.