March 1, 2019

February is Gone; Let's Catch Up.


1. Today's weather was unpleasant, as last night's snow turned to cold rain. I took a few pictures from the window, but for now I'm posting February scenes. Yesterday I mentioned that the March theme at City Daily Photo is "Green."  Not much has greened up here but I did see some fields turning green recently. 
Also Sharing with Skywatch Friday.
2. The bike rack interested me for its symmetry.  It didn't have much color so I turned it into a black and white photo to share with The Weekend in Black and White.

3. Linkups keep me shooting themes that I might otherwise neglect. Here I noticed reflections in a laundromat window and got out my cell phone to take a picture, when a child decided that the ledge inside the window was a good place to walk.

4. I like finding a flower in a vase when I sit down in a restaurant. Again my cell phone came in handy, taking a picture for Friday Flowers.

5. One thing I enjoyed about February is that there are interesting events, in contrast to January which is very quiet around here. Since it is Black History Month, a number of places featured special lectures, and as a history buff, I eagerly went out of my way to attend three of them. The final image today is a slide that was shown at a talk at the MSV. This same law was mentioned at a lecture at Oatlands, as it was relevant to both stories:
"In Virginia, legislation passed that any emancipated slaves, freed after May 1, 1806, who remained in the Commonwealth more than a year, would forfeit the right to freedom and be sold by the overseers of the poor for the benefit of the Parish."
This reflected fears of a slave rebellion and a distrust of freedmen.  It added a burden to people who wanted to free their slaves, for now they had to consider how to transport them out of the state, and at the same time it burdened the newly emancipated with great sadness at having to leave friends and relatives and travel to a strange place.


17 comments:

  1. An enjoyable read and photos too. I expect those lectures were fascinating. No. 5 is really eye-opening.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, that last one is thought provoking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope's it's not too chilly with you and that you get to enjoy some spring weather soon. I'm with you loving a real flower at my table!
    Wren x

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's an interesting bike rack - makes a fine photo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. An interesting variety of photos. Great shot for Black and White! Beautiful flower. I enjoy history, too, but had never heard of the 1806 Virginia law.
    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. An interesting set of images. Good for you for getting out to events for Black History month. Unfortunately I was away for most of the month and when I returned I was too under the weather to attend any. I did follow them on line.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...your green fields are a treat, always a nice sign of spring. Fear was big in 1806 and not much has changed in over 200 years.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good catch of the kid in the window, a charmer

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never knew about that law. I don't think we had much going on here for Black History Month and it's a shame, especially if one learns these kinds of little known facts. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. An interesting post.
    Great photos!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great collection of photos. Very interesting about the freedman being sold for the benefit of the poor. The slavery system was just cruelty piled up on top of cruelty.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cool reflection/street photo! #5 We have sure come a long way as a country! That's something to be proud of. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the picture of the child in the window, and what a lovely pink flower that is.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.