December 15, 2018

Ordinary Critters

I looked out on my porch to see if any packages were there, and yes, there were two boxes, and guarding them was a cat! When I opened the door he dashed away, but only as far as the shed. I see he has a collar so I guess he's a neighbor's pet. I've seen him in my yard a number of times.

I stopped in the library on Thursday and saw this holiday bird.


Back in my car, I saw an odd shaped animal up by the fence. It took me a minute to recognize that it was probably a ground hog. I'm not positive because I didn't see his tail, but he was large and there was no water around so I'm guessing ground hog. Usually when I see one, he's standing beside a road looking around.

On the day before, I was also in Front Royal, so I took a brief ride up on Skyline Drive to drink a cup of coffee and look for animals. They had just opened a section beyond Dickey Ridge so I didn't see other cars on that part of the Drive. I did see deer though. I didn't go far because daylight was fading, and for the same reason, I only got a few pictures that were bright enough to show off these fine animals.





15 comments:

  1. Hello. What a big holiday bird! Deers are so beautiful animals. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute . Keep commenting on my blog because I love your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Animals save my day! Today is pet fed in Delhi but I guess I'm gonna laze around! Lovely blog you have in here!

    Sending you my best this holiday season!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. You see some interesting (to me) animals. Take care Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. cat looks so cute, and lovely big bird.
    have a great day

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, love the cute holiday bird. The kitty is adorable. The deer are beautiful critters. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Sunday, enjoy your day and new week ahead. PS, thanks so much for the comment on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice of kitty to watch over your packages. I like your beautiful deer.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's one big healthy ground hog...and I know you were thinking how close he looked to beaver, but wrong terrain. I've only seen one in my life, in Glacier Ntl. Park, and we called it a woodchuck.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's definitely a groundhog. Here they stay in their burrows all winter.

    The cat is a sweetie.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the cat in your first photograph, and the holiday bird is so colourful.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  11. You have your own personal guard cat, only comes over to make sure everything is ok.:) I love the holiday bird at the library. The groundhog is interesting to see, I have never seen one up close. Deers always seem to stare right at you.
    Nice photos, Linda and have a wonderful new week.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That cat looks rather similar to our smaller one - Freda. Especially that tail. Hope the packages were bringing goodies!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  13. That’s a fun group ..all kinds of critters! Nice of the kitty to keep an eye on your packages for you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. That cat has pretty eyes. The deer are lovely too.

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.