December 5, 2018

Great Blue Heron in December

From our window I could see a light blue oval on the other side of the pond. Was it a heron or only a bag? I picked up the old Nikon that I keep by the window and zoomed in. Yes, it was a heron! 


 After grabbing a couple of pictures through the window,  I stepped out on the deck to get a clearer shot. I took a few and turned the camera sideways to get a vertical image and just as I focused, he lifted his wings and flew! I clicked the shutter. He didn't go far, he landed on the dam.

I could see some geese floating nearby so I waited for them to approach him and got a group picture. Finally I remembered that I was outside without a jacket and that's not a good idea when I have a respiratory infection. It was very cold; I went back inside.

Even though our nights have been freezing, our herons have not migrated south. I think they stay as long as they can find fish to eat.
Wild Bird Wednesday and No So Wordless Wednesday.

11 comments:

  1. You live in a perfect spot for photography. Love these shots. Cheers Diane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fotografias espectaculares e de uma grande beleza.
    Um abraço e continuação de uma boa semana.

    Andarilhar
    Dedais de Francisco e Idalisa
    O prazer dos livros

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, great shots of the Heron. We have some herons that stay year round. I think as long as they can find food they are ok. Happy Thursday, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Most enjoyable to see your heron in different poses, and glad you went back inside to warm up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They're such beautiful and graceful birds. I always enjoy seeing them. I think they left here by the end of September, early October.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Down at Padre Island the herons stand in the surf only 25 ft from you know the waves would prohibit your getting close before they can fly off

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful photographs …

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  8. You got a great flight shot ...something I can never do! Very nice....I guess your herons are among the late arriving snowbirds here in Florida (we just got here ourselves )).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great shots of the blue heron! How neat to see it there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello! Great photos! It is so nice that you can see from your window this kind of views and birds!

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.