November 14, 2018

Ducks and Visitors

I spotted this duck pond not far from Middletown.

Speaking of ducks, some new ones were on the pond near our house. I grabbed a picture because they don't look like our resident mallards. Could they be visiting bufflehead ducks?  I'm not really familiar with buffleheads but I saw some on another blog recently. (I wish my photo was clearer by I took it through a window, hurriedly zooming before they swam out of sight, plus there was mist on the water.)


Canada geese have been visiting too. We have a few that stay all year, and large flocks that stop by as they migrate.

Our weather has turned cold and a "wintry mix" is forecast for tomorrow. I filled a bird feeder in the front yard and it didn't take long for some of the usual visitors to find it. I won't fill the feeders in the back yard yet because Mr. Bear wanders through there from time to time and he will destroy feeders to get the seed! In a few more weeks he should snuggle up somewhere for winter, so I can start putting out more feeders.



9 comments:

  1. Pretty view of the pond! Love your birds!
    I think your unidentified ducks may be Ring-necked Ducks. Google them and see what you think.
    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, love the Junco and Cardinal. I see Buffleheads and maybe two Ring-necked ducks. Great shots. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great shots!! love the cardinal, always a fan. ( ;

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely shots of your winged visitors. I've never heard of bufflehead ducks before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hadn't heard of buffleheads either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. they are a diving duck also so hard to pose

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great collection of birds/ducks/geese. Enjoy the day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful collection of photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.