October 6, 2018

Roxie the Camping Dog.

This is Roxie. She loves to go camping with Lynn. She also likes to go to outdoor bluegrass concerts.


Lynn invited Peggy and me to visit her at the place where she was camping. When we showed up, she had set up her tent and gone back to the entrance to finish registering.  Roxie was waiting in the car.

This campground happens to be in George Washington National Forest, not far from my home. It's surrounded by the Massanutten Mountains. Lynn does not remember coming here as a child but I remember taking her and Marie for a hike here while her father fished in Passage Creek. I also remember that I forgot to bring a can opener in spite of all my list-making and packing! We drove out to the Waterlick Store and bought one.




A poster about bears is on the bulletin board by the entrance. Black bears rarely attack humans but they have been known to attack dogs, and they will destroy property in order to get your food. Fortunately they did not bother Roxie, nor did they try to get the food that Lynn stored in her car.

Lynn's current tent is teepee-style and is easy to set up. We were surprised to see how much room is inside.



We enjoyed having a picnic with Lynn and Roxie. There were mosquitos so we had to apply some repellent. "Skeeters" have been abundant this year because we've had so much rainfall.

Somewhere I have a very old photo of Lynn with a lantern on a camping trip. She posed for an updated version.




7 comments:

  1. Hello, Roxie is a sweetie. Hubby and I used to love camping at Shenandoah, now my body needs a bed to sleep on. The lantern shot is beautiful. Thank you for linking up your post. Happy Sunday, enjoy your day and new week ahead! PS, thanks also for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember Elizabeth Furnace. We used to go there often when we lived in Virginia and my sons were little. It was a lovely wild place back then (almost 50 years ago). I don't recall a campground but I am glad one is there now because people pretty much camped and left trash everywhere. Beautiful, peaceful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely to see all your pictures here - Roxie looks so sweet.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love camping, even with 'skeeters'. That shot of Roxie in the car says it all - where is MOM?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice pictures. I hope you enjoyed your visit. Roxie looks like a sweetie.

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.