May 26, 2018

Ordinary Day, Incredible Sights.

Blog Post #6350!


Saturday is a good day for sharing birds and other critters. This first beauty is not a real bird. It's a peacock made of Legos and I saw it today in Glen Burnie Gardens in Winchester. We didn't get to tour the entire exhibit because a thunderstorm moved in, so I plan to go back again before the show closes on September 3rd.

Sometimes I feel very lucky. The other day I glanced out the window and saw something tall and straight out by the lake. It was a Great Blue Heron, and my camera was handy. (I keep one with a zoom lens on a table in front of the window because our community lake attracts many birds.)

After I took a few almost-identical shots, the heron lifted up and flew. I didn't have time to focus so I just snapped a picture before he disappeared behind the trees.

I don't get lucky shots every day, but I believe that you increase your chances of seeing something remarkable if you go out and look. I took the last four photographs on Dickey Ridge in Shenandoah National Park. The cute squirrel seemed to pose for me.

The wild turkey did not, however. He was running in the picnic area and I grabbed a shot as soon as the car stopped. Although wild turkeys are not a rare sight these days, they are shy so I don't get photos of them very often.

Then I saw a mother deer and her child. She was licking him tenderly. After a while he licked her too!

I suspect the origin of "love" is the caring that a mother has for her child. It has tremendous survival benefits, keeping the offspring safe until it can take care of itself.


Isn't love incredible?

13 comments:

  1. ...there aren't many ordinary days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Your blog today was like stepping through the pages of National Geographic!

    Thanks for linking up this week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, the Lego Peacock is beautiful. I love the GB Heron and the Turkey. Cute Squirrel. The deer are so sweet. Great collection of photos. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Sunday, enjoy your day and new week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quite a view you have. Love the deer! Herons are a favorite of mine, but I can never get a decent shot of them flying. Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great collection of critters...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the reminder to get out there and look, I need to get back into doing that. And of course, your photos are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. gorgeous critters, love that peacock, showing off!!

    the deer are fabulous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The two deer are amazing to see!

    ReplyDelete
  9. love the deer images as I rarely see the young where I live. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a lovely selection of photo's for us here Linda, the deer are so wonderful, and it does look like the squirrel posed for you!

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful pictures today. Lucky you to be in the right place at the right time and have a camera handy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. The deer are wonderful to see!

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.