April 9, 2018

Saturday's Conference at Shenandoah University

The Good: On Saturday I attended a program at Shenandoah University in Winchester. The campus is beautiful, even on a cold day.

Sharing with Seasons and Mosaic Monday.
The Random: The conference was about the Civil War as experienced by civilians. Five excellent speakers enlightened a group of about 100 attendees. Jonathan Noyalas gave the first talk.

Here we see a quote from Stonewall Jackson on forcing pacifists to join the army.  "There are three major religious denominations in this military district which are opposed to the war... They can be made to fire, but they can very easily take bad aim." 


The Fun: The finale for the conference was a tour of the site of Sheridan's Field Hospital. Getting outside for a group event is fun, although Saturday afternoon was colder than expected. Ranger Eric Campbell led the tour.


See my post from seven years ago about this sprawling hospital.

9 comments:

  1. That is some history lesson I´d like to attend, too.
    Over here, finally, it has warmed up a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a History buff I know that I would have an enjoyed this conference, too. Many years ago we visited Gettysburg and I remember how much the visit moved me.
    Hope your week is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like an interesting conference. Great quote from Stonewall Jackson.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been on their campus before, but it's been quite a while.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never heard that Stonewall quote.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can tell you found it very interesting! Great photos Linda. I would have found it interesting too, because I worked in a hospital in summer vacations when I was a teen. Thank you for sharing this with All Seasons, and have a beautiful spring week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fascinating event. I wish I could have attended.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty forsythia next to the building. Sounds like it was a worthwhile program.

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.