March 17, 2018

Preferred Bird Settings.

I take a fair number of photos of birds and I have preferences when choosing which ones to share. Generally the most desirable setting is the natural environment. 

It was a bonus that these ducks were interacting.

If I can't catch the bird in his natural setting, capturing him perching on a manmade item can be good. It helps if the item is attractive, so that's something to consider when buying feeder poles and other items for your yard. 

Of course, keeping the feeders full will help bring birds around! I have several feeders at the same distance from my window so that I can focus quickly when shooting from indoors.

I've read that photo editors don't want pictures of birds at feeders. Bloggers have more artistic freedom, but I try to avoid pictures of birds with their beaks buried in feeders. I like to see their little faces!  This goldfinch obliged by looking in my direction.

Rules are made to be broken, at least in photography. I like the pattern on this woodpecker's back, so I'm including it's rearview picture.

Sharing with Saturday's Critters and I'd Rather Be Birding.
One other thing: my rules for squirrels are different. They are funniest when stealing from bird feeders! I have more pictures of funny squirrels than I'll ever publish, but I throw one in here once in a while.



15 comments:

  1. I take pics from feeders, but prefer a natural setting. But, I'll take a pic wherever I can get it. Cute squirrel.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I like the birds anywhere they perch. I have often taken photos of the birds on my feeders. I love the sweet Goldfinches. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Thanks also for the comment and visit. Happy Saturday, enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the rear view of the woodpecker! Sometimes the feather patterns on the back and head are helpful in identification.
    And I use photos of birds at my feeders to remind people - Feed The Birds!
    Love the squirrel!
    Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Linda!:) Pretty Goldfinch pictures. Two of the ducks look like they are having a conversation.:)I'm glad you included the rear view of the Woodpecker, so often as we focus on getting a front view, we really don't get the chance to appreciate how pretty their back feathers are.

    ReplyDelete
  5. a natural setting is better but not always possible. my birds sit and pose on my deck rail and i can get some good, unobstructed views when they do that!!

    these are beautiful, and that sneaky little squirrel, they are all the same!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The ducks seem to be carrying on quite a conversation. Who can resist a cute squirrel?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's always up to the artist to make editorial decisions about their creations!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll be happy with a bird photo taken anywhere as long as it's in focus. :) Squirrels are funny and I like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  9. All great pictures! That squirrel is cute.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All nice photographs but your first and last are my favourites.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  11. The ducks are really chatting, great catch!
    I have a feeder right by my window and love to watch, too, but awww, the squirrel, so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow !! Fantastic photos ! I love that last photo!
    Greetings

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are all great photos! Since none of us are photo editors, you don't have to worry about the rules. I for one just love seeing what kind of birds you have in your area. And since I don't live where I can have feeders myself (nowadays) I really enjoy seeing your feeder birds.

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.