September 2, 2017

Shenandoah County Fair is a Century Old

In Woodstock, Virginia. 
I was reluctant to go because the fair requires a lot of walking and my feet hurt after a half hour or so, but Wednesday was Senior Day so I relented. At least if we paid half price, I wouldn't feel wasteful if we didn't stay long.

I hope this couple didn't mind being in the picture. I wanted to get a photo of the poster and there they were, adding local color.

I like seeing the 4-H kids' animals. My first job was organizing 4-H clubs so I have a soft spot for them.




This cow is giving me the same look my dog gives me when I take his picture.

Sharks! Okay, these don't belong with the farm animals; I just thought they were cute.

Some of the young folks who accompanied their livestock were passing time next to the stalls. These kids were playing cards and chatting, except for one girl who was using her phone.


We got our hands stamped! No, "Wed" does not indicate marital status. It was the day of the week.

14 comments:

  1. Loved seeing your animal photos.,.especially the mama pig and her new family . . . So sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, I love seeing the 4-h animals. The piglets are so cute. The cows have such sweet faces, goat coat. Our state fair ends tomorrow. Thank you for linking up and sharing your post. Happy Sunday, enjoy your day and week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always enjoyed the county fairs. Ours has dwindled to nearly nothing. Sad. I enjoy seeing the 4H animals. Enjoyable post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. County fair are fun. We always go and see the animals. The mother pig and her new family are nice to see. I like the two people that are included in the poster photo. They don't like they minded.

    Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always love to see all the animals at the fair! The "Wed" stamp is cute. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lots of fun, we show sheep and horses.I have bought a number of 4 H projects.The 4 older grands are in 4 H.Had a cougar eat 2 sheep destined for the state fair so had to come up with replacements fast.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the picture of the sign with the folks. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks like a REAL Fair -- and I would enjoy it. Our County Fair here has kind of degenerated into just an excuse for a Carnival. we used to enjoy the animals and cooking (Grange) exhibits. Bill's an old farm boy who raised pigs, so the subjects of that first picture would have held his interest for a long time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so pleased you went along to this event.
    I enjoyed seeing all of your photographs.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's fair season! Glad you were able to go. I always enjoyed seeing the animals, that was my favorite when I was a kid-- right after I got motion sickness on my first (and last) ride of the day. I'm a barrel of fun at theme parks! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  11. Our local fair was this weekend too but I didn't go this year. - I like the shot of the pigs here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The pig made me smile, as did the pile of sharks!

    Cheers - Stewart M - Melbourne

    ReplyDelete
  13. 4-H clubs can be found here as well.

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.