September 1, 2017

Local Park, Cedar Creek Battlefield

Here it is September already! August passed quickly, and without the scorching hot days that I associate with that month.

It's also Friday and time to join some blog hops. This time I'm not doing random topics but will concentrate on nearby Cedar Creek and Belle Grove National Historical Park. I've posted about it many times before, but they keep offering new programs so I go back. I'm a history buff and the staff there are great presenters.


My Town Shoot Out has challenged us to post about Parks today, and I had some great parks to choose from. I've listed Front Royal's great parks in the past so I thought I'd go in the opposite direction this time. 

A week ago I attended a "History at Sunset" program at Cedar Creek. Ranger James Horn told the story of the battle through letters written by soldiers who were there.

This black and white portrait shows the ranger in a quiet moment as he listens to a question from someone in the audience. Most of the time he's quite animated.

The program began at the Monument to the 8th Vermont and progressed to the Morning Attack Trail.

Here Union soldiers were awakened by an unexpected pre-dawn attack. Casualties were high. 


This part of the park has only been open for a few years. In fact, the park itself was not authorized until 2002. When I first came to this Civil War battlefield on a tour, very little of the area was open to the public. It's been gratifying to see this beautiful place become available to visit.

The park is unusual because it is not all owned by one entity, but is a combined effort of several organizations.

If you are not familiar with the 1864 Battle of Cedar Creek, it basically ended the Confederate Army's use of the Shenandoah Valley. Their surprise attack in the morning was only a temporary victory. General Phil Sheridan led Federal troops in a counter-attack and forced the Confederates to retreat in disarray.


Thanks to all the bloggers who are hosting linkups today! Floral Friday, Fences, Skywatch,  Signs, Orange You Glad It's Friday, Weekend GreenBlack and White Weekend, and My Town Shoot Out.

U.S. 11 over Cedar Creek is being rebuilt. 


13 comments:

  1. ...ah yes, US Route 11, the longest Federal road in the Country.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fascinating post and your photos are great. As I know from my trips up to Skyline Drive, it is a gorgeous area. I must put this on my list. Thanks Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Almost like I was there. Nice presentation of photos

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really hope I can get to Cedar Creek one of these days. The problem is that there are so many beautiful places to visit in your part of the country.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have visited a couple of civil war battlegrounds, but haven't been to this one. Will put it on my list. Interesting post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely portrait of the thoughtful ranger.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So much history in your area. The BW of the Ranger was a really nice portrait shot.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Terrific shots- I'd enjoy visiting this place.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lots of pretty views. My 6-year-old granddaughter would love the road construction project! She is so funny.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Many thanks for your photographs and the information, it was good to read.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's good they were able to preserve this battlefield site. Oh...and if you missed the hot weather of August you can have some of ours. It's been unseasonably hot here in Oregon and we have at least a dozen large wildfires burning. I'm so ready for winter!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A famous histirical place. Thanks for sharing.
    When I read Shenandoah, I always hear in my mind this song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PobWszJOQh4
    Our summer was without hot days too, but lovely in it's own kind.
    Thanks for joining, sorry, that I came so late to visit.
    Enjoy the first autumn days

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.