October 1, 2015

Shelter

The October theme on City Daily Photo is "Shelter." I couldn't think of something original so I decided to go back to basics.

In Tauxemont, Fairfax County, VA
This is the house where I grew up. It was built after World War II as part of a housing boom that took place in the suburbs surrounding Washington, DC. My parents had moved to Northern Virginia after my dad started working for the Veteran's Administration.

The house was a sturdy cinderblock structure with metal-framed windows. Originally it had three bedrooms but my parents had a contractor add a fourth bedroom with bath and a family room.

We had a half-acre lot featuring tall oak trees and flowering dogwoods. This was home.

Sharing with City Daily Photo


5 comments:

  1. Nice! The house I grew up in was built with cinderblock too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how neat.... That is definitely SHELTER --and holds a lot of memories for you.... Neat!!!!!
    Hugs,
    Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  3. A personal shelter with happy memories , what could be better, I love this post Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bet you have a lot of great memories attached to that house. Nice photo!

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.