December 16, 2013

Valance for the Non-Seamstress


I made valances for our family room. It has five windows, one of them double, and I didn't want to spend a lot of money. However, my sewing ability is limited, not because I can't sew a straight line but because I seem to mess up every sewing machine I try to use! And I have no talent for things like bobbins and tension adjustments.

I'm not big on craft projects either, but this one didn't take long once I got ample supplies. The material was already hemmed although it was too wide so I trimmed one end and turned it in, creased it with a hot iron, and then pressed the end down with iron-on hem tape. Then I hung it using café hooks.

Perhaps you have already guessed what the material was originally. You may have even seen the original item at Big Lots!

Yep, it was a table runner. It was 72" wide (long?) until I shortened it to the width of the window plus about 7 inches.

8 comments:

  1. Quite clever!

    My mother used to sew... at least until arthritis started to make that less viable as time went on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful combination! ...Autumn and Winter

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so with you on the tension adjustments. Every machine should automatically adjust in my opinion.
    Your curtains look great by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look really nice! You did a great job with them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Muito criativo...Espectacular....
    Votos de Boas Festas....
    Cumprimentos

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way.