February 6, 2010

Snow on a Bird Feeder

Saturday: The snowstorm that started Friday morning finally swirled away and headed southeast around 4:30 this afternoon. I took this picture around 5 PM. (Yes, the days are getting longer!)

The valleys you see on the rail next to the feeder were made by birds, who kick away a bit of snow every time they land or hop closer to the feeder. They visited our feeders constantly as the snow fell. I fill the feeders on the deck with Nyjer seed because it does not draw squirrels to the deck. Don't get me wrong, I like squirrels. I just don't want them leaping onto the deck from the roof because the sudden boom when they crash-land upsets the dogs and can't be good for the squirrels either. Our deck is about 8 feet from the ground and there are no steps to it so the squirrels just about fly to get on it.

We have other bird feeders in the yard and I fill them with mixes of seed that the squirrels enjoy as much as the birds do. However, the squirrels usually take shelter when the snow is coming down, leaving those feeders to their feathered friends.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! When you get hit, you really get hit. It's just SO beautiful though. I say this as I sit back and enjoy an unusually non-snowy winter. I'm quite liking it through your eyes though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, we have more snow than you do in Canada? How cool is that!

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.