December 15, 2008

How I Spent my Birthday

I spent my birthday going to the dentist in Front Royal. I wouldn't have minded except that it turned out to be an unseasonably warm day and I wished I could spend some time soaking up the sunshine. By mid-day the temperature was 60 degrees F.

But I spent almost three hours in a dental chair. I needed a crown and a filling, and Dr. Z. found a bit of decay in an adjacent tooth that needed an inlay.

I avoid novocaine because it makes me nauseous (and uncomfortably numb), and while drilling without it is painful, it's only for a minute -- really only a few moments longer than the time it takes enduring the long needle.

One neat thing: this dentist has a machine that makes crowns while you wait. He models the crown on a laptop and shows you the picture, then sends it to the machine, where you can watch it sculpting the porcelain.

By the time I got out of there, I was tired and hungry. We got some Chinese food, which was soft enough to eat with sore gums. We shopped for groceries and came home. We'll do a nice birthday dinner later this week. Monday night is not a great night to go out anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.