September 21, 2013

Two Roads, Two Days, Two Bears


I've been watching websites like Massanutten Game Trails and noticed there are plenty of bear sightings in Virginia this year. So I felt it was time we saw a bear, and when we went up to Skyline Drive two weeks ago I announced that I wanted to see a bear.

Sure enough, we saw one crossing the road. He strode across briskly and disappeared into the forest.

The next day I was driving to Woodstock and noticed the flashing lights of a sheriff's car in the parking lot of a motorcycle shop. Oh dear! A bear had been hit and killed by a vehicle.

Poor bear! I imagine the motorist had suffered a bit of a shock too.

I'm posting this sad scene to remind readers to drive carefully and watch for wildlife. This creature was hit in Maurertown on U.S. 11, a busy road where you don't expect to see a bear.

P.S. I read in NVDaily that the accident caused $1,700 in damages to a truck and there was also an incident in Bentonville in which a police car hit a bear. Be careful out there!

4 comments:

  1. i can only imagine how rough that would be on animal and vehicle. (i love when joe posts the triplets...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We risk a double danger, the Bear and the driver!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! Love the thought of seeing a bear (from a far safely). Enjoyed having a look at your recent photos :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. That almost looks like some kind of four legged creature like a black bob cat or something.

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.