August 12, 2026

Red Cardinal Plus a Butterfly

My bird camera doesn’t capture many birds in the summer because I don’t feed them. I do furnish water though, and sometimes they visit the birdbath for it.


This is a male northern cardinal. It was captured on video, but I prefer to publish still shots. I tried a couple of apps that are supposed to grab stills from video, but found them complicated. I went back to pausing the action to capture screenshots on my iPad. Then I cropped them in the Photos app. 
 

The cardinal happened to visit in the rain, which makes the images even less sharp than video images usually are. To make up for this, I’m republishing a favorite picture of a cardinal from several years ago. This was taken in early spring after a late snowfall.


This butterfly visited my garden on Friday. I think it is a silvery checkerspot. It is considered rare in the northeastern states, but not uncommon in Virginia. 


5 comments:

  1. What a beautiful cardinal! It looks like something out of a fairy tale to me—as if it came to deliver a message. They really need water in the summer. Wishing you a wonderful rest of the summer, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To hear a cardinal sing (the avian kind) is one of life’s great joys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful bird, great pics. butterfly looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...the butterfly image is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty Cardinal photos! I love the butterfly photo. Take care, enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete

The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.

Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!

Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.