Camp Roosevelt was the first Civilian Conservation Corps camp in the nation.
It opened in April 1933, providing housing and work for young men as part of
Franklin Roosevelt’s program to ease the Great Depression.
![]() |
| Made into a collage for Mosaic Monday. |
We followed a short path and paused at the marker where the CCC wash house was
located.
A funny thing is it that as I was planning this post, I thought maybe I shared a
picture of this feature before. It turns out that exactly three years ago on
this very same day, I
posted this sign and a similar picture!
Is that a coincidence or am I drawn to the same places at a particular time of
year? This sort of thing has happened before, but Camp Roosevelt is in the
forest away from my regular routes, although it is only about a half hour from
home.
Sadly, this camp and many other historic sites in the National Forests are not
well maintained, although someone cleans up trash and fallen trees. I wonder
if this will get fixed up before the hundred-year anniversary of the CCC,
which is only six years away. I should probably call my congressman. Our
Forest Service is not very well funded right now.
I have a photo to share just to answer the question, “Why do so many photographers wear black?” I took a picture of a plaque on a bench and immediately wished that I had worn a black shirt instead of a red one.






No comments:
Post a Comment
The View from Squirrel Ridge features thousands of views of the Shenandoah Valley and surrounding area. I post frequently so please visit often.
Your comments are appreciated. If you are responding to a post older than a few days, your comment will be held until we have a chance to approve it. Thanks for your patience!
Sorry, anonymous comments cannot be accepted because of the large number of spam comments that come in that way. Also, links that are ads will be deleted.